Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 26 01:45:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 04:10:24PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> It may behoove us to be concerned over being able to download and verify
> the entirety of the packages that are not included in the mini ISO and
> provide the ability to perform a command line install on one cd.  I know
> that we do not currently offer the ability to order a hard copy of the
> alternate cd.  However, there are other online vendors who do, which means
> at present there is an existing way to order a *verified* *hard copy* via
> mail.

I don't know what you mean by "verified" here.  Neither Canonical nor the
Ubuntu project offer any guarantees of the legitimacy of such third-party
CDs.

> Are we considering the difference between debsums on an installed system
> vs. md5sum of a disc?  Also, where would I re-emphasize that we currently
> have no gpg verification for any of our images despite it's adoption by our
> competitors?

All Ubuntu images are accompanied on the download mirrors by GPG-signed
checksum files.

  http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/SHA256SUMS
  http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/SHA256SUMS.gpg