Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Karl Anliot kanliot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:19:37 UTC 2012

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 07:39:14AM +0800, Mikael Str?m wrote:
>> I think dropping the alternate CD would be a serious mistake. There
>> are many of us who depends on installing via this CD for various
>> reasons, like boot issues, Video card problems, CLI only installs
>> etc.
>
> Are you aware that it's possible to use the netboot mini.iso for largely
> the same use cases (it does help to have a local mirror if you're doing
> lots of installs, but if you're just doing one then the cost of
> downloading the image vs. doing the netboot install is basically
> equivalent)?

The point of downloading the installer is to install quickly on PC's
without broadband.  And the utility of the alternate CD is to install
on PC that have problems with Ubiquity.

Nobody has ever made the argument that the Desktop installer works on
more than 90% of PC's.  Dropping the alternate installer means that
it's going to be better to just install something else rather than
Ubuntu on those PCs.