New archive signing key for >= quantal

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 21 09:06:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:47:34AM +0100, Dave Walker wrote:
> Naughtily upgrading via, sed -i 's/precise/quantal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> apt-get update:
> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com quantal-updates/universe Translation-en
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:
> 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32
>
> It did leave me scratching my head momentarily, until I remembered this thread.
>
> I haven't checked, but presumably it is signed with both keys.. An apt
> isn't content with knowing one of the signatures is valid.

It's actually just a warning; it will still consider the archive signed
(i.e. you don't need --allow-unauthenticated to install from it).  So
upgrades will still work fine but people paying close attention may be
discomfited by the warning.

> Is the key, (or if my suggestion is correct - a fix for apt) going to
> be SRU'd?

We should SRU the new key.  I've filed
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-keyring/+bug/1053896
for this.