Simple but worthwhile to fix bugs?

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:43:48 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 11:47 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> we recently had a quick conversation in #ubuntu-devel about how to get
> new people involved in Ubuntu development. Ideally we'd offer something
> like this:
>
>  - Contributor finds good instructions.
>  - Also a few simple things to work on, giving them a nice experience
>    fixing things and they feel they accomplished something.
>  - Their fixes get accepted quickly.
>  - They progress to new and more exciting things.
>
> So far the theory.
>
> What we set up is
>
> 	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/BugFixingInitiative
>
> and we have a few merge proposals in the sponsoring queue already.
>
> While we tried to make it clear that Ubuntu-only fixes should go into
> sponsoring and Debian package fixes should go to Debian, some ended up
> in the queue, which sparked the discussion.

Hi,
This and next cycle we have the good opportunity to make use of the
debian freeze.
There are plenty of reviewed bugfixes going into wheezy which apply to
quantal too.

This can be used by new developers to learn some of our workflows while
really doing a worthwhile job.
The easiest task is looking for packages that can be synced from wheezy
[1]. We can request that they write a little motivation why the change
applies to ubuntu and to do a testbuild.
The a bit more experienced can try to merge the packages with local
changes [2].
Additionally one should check whether some of the bugfixes might be
candidates for SRU's in the stable releases.

Maybe lists in [1,2] be cleaned up to remove packages that went into
debian before the freeze and put onto the wiki so people don't work on
the same packages.

[1] http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/multidistrotools/universe.html#outdatedinB
[2]
http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/multidistrotools/universe.html#outdatedandlocalinB