Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 7 14:35:24 UTC 2012

Hi Loïc (2012.09.07_15:48:53_+0200)
> e.g. can an application rely on libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 to be there or
> should it bundle it?

It wouldn't make any sense to bundle anything like that. The library's
ABI isn't going to change over the life of the stable release.

However, (although this is the wrong thread for this, sorry) apps *are*
going to need to bundle new third party libraries that aren't in Ubuntu.
And then we run into the problem of the third party libraries not being
authored by the app author.

Even if there isn't a bundled library, there is quite likely to be
bundled artwork not authored by the app author.

It seems that we have to allow apps to incorporate works with copyright
held by third parties, assuming it's released under an appropriate
license.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera