AppDevUploadProcess Automatic reviews

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 7 13:55:54 UTC 2012

Al 07/09/12 13:55, En/na Scott Kitterman ha escrit:
> On Thursday, September 06, 2012 05:43:41 PM Michael Hall wrote:

>>> Those parts of the spec seemed reasonable to me.  You'll have a hard time
>>> automating review of copyright/licensing information though.  Is there a
>>> plan for that?
>>>
>>> Scott K
>>
>> No, the uploader must claim either ownership of the copyright or
>> approval from those who do to distribute it via Ubuntu.  After that it
>> is their responsibility to convey licensing information to their users.
>
> It is not rare for free software projects to copy code from other projects and
> reuse it if it has a compatible license (and sometimes when it doesn't).  Does
> this mean that projects that reuse code from other projects aren't eligible
> for this process?
>
> Checking for proper documentation of licenses and copyright (even if it's all
> one project/person) is the most labor intensive part of the New package review
> process that Ubuntu archive administrators do.  It's also the part that's
> critical from a legal perspective because it's how we know that it is legal
> for Ubuntu (really Canonical and the Ubuntu mirror partners) to distribute.
>
> If someone checks a box and claims ownership, that doesn't mean they really
> have it nor does it mean that all the code is legally distributable, so I'm
> not sure what you mean when you say it's their responsibility.  It's still
> Canonical doing the distribution.

Upon creation of an account in MyApps, the app developer needs to agree
to the terms of service [1] (something that already happens today):

" The developer will also be required to agree to terms and conditions
that will clearly outline what content is acceptable and unacceptable,
and that the software can be removed if questionable, illegal, or
infringing content is found. Once approved the developer will be
provided with upload access for that specific application to extras. "

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppDevUploadProcess#How_App_Devs_Upload_Their_Apps

I am not a legal or copyright expert, so I cannot give an authoritative
answer, but we do have an "Ask the legal team to check if the terms of
service need any changes as a result of the new process" work item
covered in the spec.

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/tos/