Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 5 21:51:40 UTC 2012

> It's important to remember that when we say "support /opt/ properly"
> what we really mean is "support /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/* properly".  We
> aren't just using /opt/ as an install prefix, we making a different
> install prefix for every single application, and that means that every
> tool is going to need to consider every install prefix for every
> application that might be installed.

Can this not be solved with a post-install-hooked script (added by
dh_extras) that collates symlinks to everything in
/opt/extras.ubuntu.com/{appname}/share/applications/{appname}.desktop
in /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/share/applications?

Suddenly we only have one new path to look at. Not n paths.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/