Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 5 14:08:47 UTC 2012

Al 05/09/12 15:30, En/na Scott Kitterman ha escrit:

> Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Le 05/09/2012 14:31, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
>>> Why invest any time at all?
>> Your question is worded in a way which I've an hard time parsing, so I
>> will try to reply as I understand it, let me know if that's not what
>> you
>> mean
>>
>> "Why do I think people would want to invest any time on Ubuntu then" is
>>
>> the question?
>>
>> In which case I would say the OS and the applications are two different
>>
>> things...
>>
>> * Building a distribution,platform,desktop environment,OS is hard, it
>> does require discipline and work from lot of people collaborating, I
>> don't think you can "lower the standard" for the base of the system.
>>
>> Why invest any time at all? Different contributors have different
>> motivations: it's fun, it's interesting work, they like the result,
>> they
>> are proud of what they work on, they like the people they are working
>> with, etc...
>>
>> * Dealing with applications is another topic, there is no reason we
>> would need so much coordination, reviews, testing for those. There is
>> no
>> reason we need to tight them to our release cycle and freezes. We are
>> not the ones "owning" those apps, upstream are. Those upstream, for
>> most, don't ask to be part of our project, many don't even run Ubuntu,
>> they just want their apps to reach users. That's a different world and
>> different problem space...
>>
> Sorry for being unclear.
>
> You seemed to be suggesting that MyApps was a suitable path for a reduced effort mechanism for getting low quality applications available to users.
>
> My question was if they are so bad, why expend any effort on them at all.

The focus of this proposal is to empower app developers to easily
publish their own apps in a streamlined yet secure way. It is not about
judging the quality of apps, which ultimately the users will do through
ratings and reviews.

In terms of quality, though, if we're to judge by the app showdown
submissions, I think we're to expect quite a lot of high quality apps
(lower quality too, but I think that's much less relevant when compared
to security).

We're precisely presenting this proposal to spend less time on apps and
provide an automated process that will give control to app developers to
publish their own apps with minimum delay and with tight security policies.

> I get the "next month's beer festival app" use case, but that doesn't seem to be where most of the focus is.  Most of the focus seems to be on less ephemeral apps.  AFAICT, these pretty much fall into things that should be in the archive and things of insufficient quality where it's a positive feature not to deliver them.

I think Seb pretty much nails it there:

Al 05/09/12 15:14, En/na Sebastien Bacher ha escrit:
> * Dealing with applications is another topic, there is no reason we
> would need so much coordination, reviews, testing for those. There
> is no
> reason we need to tight them to our release cycle and freezes. We are
> not the ones "owning" those apps, upstream are. Those upstream, for
> most, don't ask to be part of our project, many don't even run Ubuntu,
> they just want their apps to reach users. That's a different world
> and a different problem space...

Cheers,
David.