Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 5 10:54:15 UTC 2012

Le 05/09/2012 05:39, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
> No really, since I think that most of the packages that have been aimed at the
> ARB are not "this month's beer festival" apps.  They are things that could
> have been packaged normally just fine.
Well, at the end of the day there is also the issue that we expect high
quality for things that go in the archive and it means it takes time and
efforts to get something in (some of the stuff uploaded before ff still
didn't get reviewed in NEW btw).

I'm sure you will find that on the 130 apps from the app contest lot will be

- not up to Debian,Ubuntu archive standards

- having a developper who doesn't care much about Ubuntu itself, and our
distribution rules, cycle, freezes, etc ... app writer just want users
to be able to get their software

- not maintained over time

Why invest so much time and efforts to grow the number of things that
will then stay buggy and unmaintained in universe and makes our work
even harder (look at how many days we spend fixing years
old unmaintained and unused stuff when e.g GTK starts deprecating
functions or when doing lib transitions)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher