Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 17:19:50 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 01:02 PM, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Michael Hall wrote:
>> Not only would it require the we carry these patches to system tools and
>> libraries indefinitely, it would also mean that we encourage developers
>> to produce apps and packages that are not compatible with our Upstream
>> (Debian) or any other distro.
>
>     We rather ought encourage developers to use build systems that allow
> one to specify an install location: then the difference between installing
> to /opt/ and system locations becomes entirely a matter of a preference in
> the packaging: other format distributions will not even notice.  Distributions
> that use Debian-format packages are likely to be downstream from either Debian
> or Ubuntu: if we share the optional /opt/ packaging preference with Debian,
> then it is trivial for any distribution to adopt the package as either extra
> or part of the system with very little effort.

If it can be reduced to a matter of build-time preferences, that would
be fine.  The current /opt/ rules and support, however, require both a
significant amount of extra work in the packaging, and usually
additional changes to the code itself.

>     As for patches in system tools, at least for icon cache, path, and desktop
> file discovery, this is one or two lines in a configuration file that already
> carries Ubuntu-specific patches.  Is there a specific example of a discovery
> mechanism that is more complicated to change?

.desktop files, .service files (for dbus), .lens and .scope files (for
Unity) all needed to be changed to point to executables or images in
/opt/extra.ubuntu.com/${appname}/ when being packaged for Extras.  Unity
APIs that require a .desktop or image file name had to use absolute
paths to the files in /opt/extras.ubuntu.com/{$appname}.  These all
required changes to the app's source in order to support the
installation under /opt/.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com