Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Tue Sep 4 15:13:43 UTC 2012

On 04/09/12 10:29, Michael Hall wrote:
> It's possible for me to upload a package to Universe in Precise's
> development phase, then for an unrelated package by the same name to be
> in Debian's archives when we do the Quantal sync.
>
> How is this currently handled?

I believe badly.  But it's not been a huge issue I suspect because (a)
relatively low volume of packages which get put in Ubuntu first, and (b)
due diligence by uploaders to universe that there aren't likely to be
conflicts (i.e. there aren't other upstreams with the same name).

(b) is hard to automate and neither scales.  Since we are trying to
scale better and automate more, this issue becomes more important.

-mt