When should Python 3.3 become the default?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 20 21:46:15 UTC 2012

On 20 October 2012 22:40, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>>( I just went ahead and removed all the quotes because it's getting a
>>bit long)
>>
>>When were discussing py3.3 at the UDS we agreed to do it in a single
>>step - straight away with 3.3 as default, without first making it
>>supported alongside the 3.2.
>>We did plan to stage the flip & test in the ppa, as far as I perceived
>>it, not because we need to stage it in a ppa for damage control but
>>because py3.3 was releasing late / in the middle of the Q cycle.
>>Also the compiled modules look more tricky for this transition, and
>>ppa's usually do not have arm & ppc builders. Another reason to use
>>the archive.
>>
>>I did at the time propose the lockstep - supported, then default. But
>>it was assumed to be unnecessary, because it forces us to transition
>>twice (once for public modules and second time to drop public modules
>>& rebuild private modules).
>>
>>Please note that, in theory, we do not need to rebuild arch:all /
>>pure-python modules.
>>
>>I took a stab at the transition tracker:
>>http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/python3.3.html
>>

> I think dbus-python is missing.  Not sure what else.  I think your regex for the tracker may need a tweak.

Dependency level 5		amd64	i386	armel	armhf	ppc
dbus-python	[build logs] (1.1.1-1)	✘	✘	✘	✘	✘

Is that not it?!

There wasn't a python3 tracker yet, so I did improvise using python2.7
tracker as the base...

It's not alphabetical order.... but funny C++ / C abi cyclic dependency order.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.