When should Python 3.3 become the default?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 20 21:34:15 UTC 2012

( I just went ahead and removed all the quotes because it's getting a bit long)

When were discussing py3.3 at the UDS we agreed to do it in a single
step - straight away with 3.3 as default, without first making it
supported alongside the 3.2.
We did plan to stage the flip & test in the ppa, as far as I perceived
it, not because we need to stage it in a ppa for damage control but
because py3.3 was releasing late / in the middle of the Q cycle.
Also the compiled modules look more tricky for this transition, and
ppa's usually do not have arm & ppc builders. Another reason to use
the archive.

I did at the time propose the lockstep - supported, then default. But
it was assumed to be unnecessary, because it forces us to transition
twice (once for public modules and second time to drop public modules
& rebuild private modules).

Please note that, in theory, we do not need to rebuild arch:all /
pure-python modules.

I took a stab at the transition tracker:
http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/python3.3.html

It does not look that bad. Locally (newer transition tracker ;-) ) it
tells me 120 arch:all packages & 90 arch:any source packages.
It's not a tiny transition but not that large either.

I'd rather do the transition at opening in the archive with 3.3 as
default straight away.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.