When should Python 3.3 become the default?

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 19 15:24:35 UTC 2012

On Oct 19, 2012, at 03:41 PM, Martin Packman wrote:

>I wouldn't be surprised if there is some fallout from changes in 3.3
>for existing Python 3 packages. So far I've seen test failures related
>to PEP 3151 and hash randomisation. I'm not sure if that's an argument
>for switching now so issues get seen early, or delaying in the
>expectation upstreams will find and resolve issues themselves.

Debian has been tracking some of these failures:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-python@lists.debian.org;tag=python3.3

I've also seen failures with zope.interfaces but I haven't yet looked to see
if upstream and/or Debian has fixed these.

My experience (from both sides of the fence ;) has generally been that
upstreams aren't always proactive in supporting spanking new versions, and
appreciate patches and/or bug reports.  I think that would argue for making
the switch early, since the sooner we find out about the problems, the sooner
we can engage with upstreams and Debian to get fixes into the pipeline.  It
can take a while for patches to swim downstream to us without Ubuntu-specific
deltas.

This may mean some delay in the heavier porting efforts to get packages onto
Python 3 in the first place.

Cheers,
-Barry