When should Python 3.3 become the default?

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Fri Oct 19 13:47:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 18:07 -0300, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> On 10/18/2012 06:04 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > There are good arguments on both sides, and I can probably convince myself to
> > be either aggressive or conservative.  One of my biggest concerns against
> > switching early is that we still have a lot of code that needs to be ported to
> > Python 3 (any version)[3].  If fixing problems related to Python 3.3
> > significantly detracts from the porting effort, then it might be better to
> > wait.  Then the question becomes, wait until what?
>
> On the other hand, for codebases that want to stay 2-and-3 compatible,
> porting
> to python 3.3 is *easier*. So maybe it's better not to wait.

While it's somewhat easier, most people will need to support 3.2 anyway
if they want to run their code on 12.04 at least. And the big benefit
in that respect for 3.3 (return of u'') isn't really all that helpful
except for very special weird cases. For people wanting to support both
2 and 3, it's much better to just use unicode_literals from __future__,
and use b'' where necessary, and fix your unicode support to be correct.
Then you get to work on pretty much all the Python 3 versions, and even
still work on 2.6 (for people who need to support 10.04).

So I say put 3.3.0 in as the default python3 now, because 3.3.0 is out
and available. It probably won't be a problem for people who still need
to port, and shouldn't be an issue for anyone who already has.