Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 1 08:57:50 UTC 2012

On 1 October 2012 09:33, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 28.09.2012, 20:25 -0400 schrieb Paul Smith:
>> Hey Steve,
>>
>> > I don't know what you mean by "verified" here.  Neither Canonical
>> nor the
>> > Ubuntu project offer any guarantees of the legitimacy of such
>> third-party
>> > CDs.
>>
>> I wouldn't expect that of them.  I meant GPG key verification in
>> general.  Thanks for clarifying.  On other distros
>> that documentation is alongside the download and I just missed it.
>> I'll research more thoroughly in the future.
>>
>> For anyone else:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
>> vs.
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VerifyIsoHowto
>>
> every official iso download page in ubuntu on either cdimage.ubuntu.com
> or releases.ubuntu.com links to [1] which links to both of these
> pages ...

But if one knows how to burn an iso then one is not going to look
there.  Verifying the sum is not part of the operation of burning the
iso.  Most users (I guess) will start the download from [2] where
there is no mention of md5sums, and does not appear to link to [1]
either.
I submitted a bug on this a year ago but it has not received any
attention [3].  Perhaps it is not considered necessary to verify the
sum.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/873462