Enhanced Upstart User Sessions for the Raring desktop

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 23 13:50:52 UTC 2012

Le 22/11/2012 14:02, Dmitrijs Ledkovs a écrit :
> Strangely enough, currently on my system I have:
> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu:/etc/xdg
Why is it strange? We do add "xdg-<session>" to the list to allow
specific entries for flavors which need those

> There already is $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/autostart and we kind of trying to
> make upstart control those. [*] Will there be an xdg-autostart-bridge
> for those? And then gradually replace those with upstart jobs on
> as-needed basis? Note that looking more at the
> /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop files, I can see they are sensitive to
> the type of session being run.
Hum, is that really a good idea? Those autostart desktop are already
correctly handled by session managers, I don't see the point of spending
time to write a bridge to replace working code, I would assume that
adding upstart user session wouldn't change anything by default. Then we
can start replacing .desktop entries by upstart jobs where it makes sense...
> In that case, I would even suggest /etc/xdg/autostart.upstart.
>
> I don't think adding/user/  makes any sense, since all XDG_*
> directories are for per-user locations/customisations.
The name is a bit verbose /etc/xdg/upstart or /etc/xdg/upstart-user
should be fine there

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher