New review process of the ubuntu app review board (ARB)

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 15 16:44:19 UTC 2012

Dear fellow Ubuntu Developers,

In this UDS, we the ARB had a discussion on relax the existing
requirement of 3 votes from ARB members to get an app into the ubuntu
software center (USC) [1] to speed up the process of app reviews on
the ARB queue.

In short, the proposal is as follows:

Instead of requiring three +1s from ARB members, we will require one
technical +1 review from any Ubuntu Developer, and one compliance +1
review from an ARB member.

So any developer who is willing to help with the technical review of
apps (mostly a code and functionality review of apps) is welcome (the
current review guidelines are at [2])

We are also happy if any developer would like to adapt packages from
the queue and update on a regular basis. (Many apps are even fit to
make it to the universe repos or debian too. for instance: last year's
one of the app showdown winner picsaw [2])

If anyone is interested in this initiative and has any
doubts/questions regarding how to contribute, Please feel free to
reach us at app-review-board at lists.ubuntu.com or #ubuntu-arb on
freenode

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/appdev-r-arb-review
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviewBoard/Review/Guidelines
[3] https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/apps/1102/

On behalf of the Ubuntu App review board,

Regards,

--
Bhavani Shankar
Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com