Intending to upload Libav 9 to raring

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 6 12:33:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 04:30:52PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> I intend to upload libav 9 to raring rather sooner than later. I'm writing
> you because:
>
>  - the package is not in debian/unstable yet, but currently sitting in NEW,
> targeted at experimental (but syncing is not possible anyway)
>  - I don't think that there will be a similar fallout like the last big
> libav package, but given that some more internal API got dropped and there
> are a number of packages in the archive that use deprecated APIs, there
> will be some problems.
>  - I remember that Collin requested such big updates to be announced before
> on this mailing list. I'm doing it with this email.

I did?  I don't remember that particularly ...

Anyway, I don't have a problem with this provided that you commit to
organising an effort to identify and fix the problems in
reverse-dependencies.  Last time, other people had to do a lot of work
to clean up the mess and it all involved much more disruption than was
necessary.

(Please note that, assuming you're using the same source package name
with a changed set of binary package names, the new -proposed migration
system will enforce that this work is done before allowing the new libav
into raring; so it is in your interest to make sure that it happens.)

Cheers,