dh_python2 and /usr/share/pyshared in quantal

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue May 22 16:22:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:50:51AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Almost forgot ...

> It seems to me that making changes that are known to break other packages to
> gather data is not consistent with the stated goal of keeping the development
> release in a functional state at ~all times.

> I disagree that direct references to pyshared are a bug of any kind.

> Also, Julian's list was limited to dpmt/papt packages which is a subset of
> packages that are affected by this.  IIRC, there are ~400 packages in
> those teams, so it hits ~10% of dh_python2 packages based on that sample.
> That's a lot.

Between this and the observation that it's resulting in misbuilt packages,
I think the right thing to do is revert the change for now while the
discussion is ongoing.  If in the end there's a solution that lets us gather
information in the archive without causing package misbuilds, we can
consider re-introducing that; or we can do test rebuilds in a ppa for this
information.  But we should not be misbuilding packages in the main archive
purely as an information-gathering exercise.