dh_python2 and /usr/share/pyshared in quantal

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue May 22 14:49:15 UTC 2012

In https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-defaults/2.7.3-0ubuntu3 Ubuntu
modified dh_python2 to drop creation of /usr/share/pyshared and creation of
python version specific symlinks to /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/.

I believe this change should be reverted, but rather than just upload, wanted
to discuss it first.  See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-
defaults/+bug/1001912 for additional discussion.

I've checked with Piotr Ożarowski (POX), the upstream developer for dh_python2
and he does not support removing this feature of dh_python2 until after
pysupport and pycentral are removed.  Even with a single supported python
version (as Ubuntu has now) it's still useful because pysupport installs files
in the same location.  It avoids some namespace issues.

This change breaks dozens of packages and has negligible (if any) advantages.

Additionally, the Python policy lists /usr/share/pyshared as the correct
location to install version independent python files, so removing it moves away
from the documented policy.

I'd like to understand if there's some compelling reason to make this change
for quantal.  If not, it should be reverted sooner rather than later as
packages built with this version are being misbuilt.

Scott K