event based initramfs

Phillip Susi psusi at ubuntu.com
Fri May 11 14:25:48 UTC 2012

On 5/11/2012 4:04 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> So a related issue is dmraid, which is very similar to mdadm. My last
> two dmraid machines fail - every time - to activate on boot. The
> reason being that the devices they depend upon don't come up fast
> enough, and the configuration process isn't event-driven *enough* to

Event driven *enough*?  What do you mean?  How can it be more or less
event driven ( in other words, either it is or is not, there isn't
really an in between )?  When the drive add event comes in, udev runs
dmraid to activate the array.  As long as that happens before
wait-for-root gives up, all is well.

If you're getting timeouts, then either the timeout is too short, or you
have some VERY slow initializing hardware.  How would upstart help this?