Quantal open for development

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Tue May 1 13:27:33 UTC 2012

On May 01, 2012, at 03:14 PM, Benjamin Drung wrote:

>Am Montag, den 30.04.2012, 12:16 -0400 schrieb Barry Warsaw:
>> (Hint: you need to install debootstrap explicitly from precise-backports
>> first.)
>
>Can't we have a SRU this instead?

I think that would be better, but I don't know why it was backported instead
of SRUd.  Over in #ubuntu-devel, Stefano discovered that it was handled
differently for Oneric->Precise because we knew the code name early enough to
make the change before the release.  This time, we didn't know Quantal's code
name until the rc's were being spun.

So I'd like to understand the rationale for backporting it before going
through the SRU process.  Maybe we need A Policy for the future too.

(FWIW, you can also manually enable quantal by symlinking 'quantal' to 'gutsy'
in /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts)

-Barry