[RFC] Proposal to disable Wubi Installs from 12.04 (but maintain the separate .exe)

Evan Dandrea evan.dandrea at canonical.com
Tue Mar 27 14:43:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Kees Cook <kees at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:37:06AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>>   3. We disable the ability to do a wubi installation from the Ubuntu 12.04
>>   ISOs. (wubi will remain on the images for the purpose of providing Windows
>>   users some feedback and functionality if they put a Ubuntu CD into a
>>   running Windows computer, but won't offer to install).
>>
>> At this time, we don't expect to be able to reclaim any space on the ISO
>> with this change.  In the future we may consider splitting the autorun menu
>> out of wubi.exe to save some space (this is how it was structured
>> originally), but it's very late in the cycle to attempt such a refactoring
>> for 12.04.  It's safer to simply disable the "install" option when run from
>> the CD.
>
> Oh, whoops. I re-read Rick's email a few times and continued to miss that.
>
> What kind of feedback is shown with this change? Is it actually useful
> (i.e. not just "install" greyed out)?

Apologies for the late reply.

It would look something like this (not sure what happened to the
anti-aliasing there):
http://people.canonical.com/~evand/tmp/wubi_without_wubi.png

The "demo and full installation" option puts the Ubuntu installation
medium into the Windows bootloader, so the user doesn't have to faff
about with their BIOS settings. The "learn more" option takes you to
http://www.ubuntu.com.