[RFC] Drop Non-smp PowerPC Kernel Flavor

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Wed Mar 14 16:52:01 UTC 2012

Hi All,

The Ubuntu Kernel Team has been evaluating some of the current
maintenance burdens for the upcoming Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS release.
One area which would reduce the maintenance costs would be to drop the
non-smp PowerPC kernel flavor.  There are currently three PowerPC
flavors:

 * non-smp (linux-image-powerpc)
 * smp (linux-image-powerpc-smp)
 * smp-64 (linux-image-powerpc64-smp)

Even though PowerPC is a community maintained port [1], the PowerPC
kernels are still generated along side the officially supported distro
kernels.  Taking that into consideration, every PowerPC flavor takes
~2hrs to build, ie. ~6hrs for all three flavors.  Given the number of
official builds and test builds that are performed over the life of the
LTS, this equates to a significant amount of time.

We would thus like to propose dropping the non-smp PowerPC kernel
flavor.  Doing so would also require the installer to be updated, hence
CC'ing Colin Watson.  We'd like to drop this as soon as possible, in
time for Beta-2 would be ideal.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Leann Ogasawara