[RFC] AUFS disabled for 12.04

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Thu Mar 1 22:08:36 UTC 2012

Hi.

aufs was reliable for us on Oneiric when creating ephemeral lxc
instances based on an underlying template.  The most recent overlayfs
issue that we discovered is today's

The summary is that, within an overlayfs, this fails:

gary at garubtosh:~/tmp$ touch 3
gary at garubtosh:~/tmp$ chmod 0444 3
gary at garubtosh:~/tmp$ ln 3 4
ln: failed to create hard link `4' => `3': Operation not permitted

That error makes xvfb unable to start, in this particular case.

I'd feel a *lot* more comfortable if aufs were still around, in case we
end up not finding the next overlayfs bug until it is too late for our
project's delivery.

Thank you,

Gary