Confusion RE: UI Freeze Rules

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 1 16:54:06 UTC 2012

On 03/01/2012 11:25 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:03:08 AM Rodney Dawes wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On the wiki page[1], it is stated that the UI and user-visible
>> strings are frozen for "applications which are installed by
>> default." My own understanding was that this was for all apps in
>> the archive, as was the general understanding of others when I
>> asked in IRC.
>>
>> However, as we (Ubuntu One) are currently working on various
>> changes in our applications, some of which are not part of the
>> default install, this point of confusion has been brought up, and
>> I think we need to clarify what it means exactly. We have 2
>>
>> 1) The Wiki is correct, and we need to communicate to everyone
>> that this is the case, and that exceptions are not required for
>> applications which are not part of the default install (until
>> later in the cycle).
>>
>> 2) The Wiki is wrong, and we need to fix it, and continue on with
>> the presumption that many of us have been working with.
>>
>> What do the rest of you think?
>
> It was my understanding that the primary purpose of U/I and string
> freeze was to allow documentation developers and translators time
> to get their work done.
>
> It is also to enforce a coordination requirement between the person
> proposing the change and the documentation team so that if the
> proposed change affects documentation or (particularly) screen
> shots they can be updated.
>
> None of translations applies to Universe.

My understanding is that with the introduction of:

That you can set on a universe source package, the assumption that
universe packages won't be in a langpack is no longer true.

> There are probably very few, not installed by default applications
> covered in documentation (although I expect Ubuntu One related
> packages would likely be documented).  This aspect of the freeze is
> important and shold apply to all packages even if it's a simple
> "Hey, I need to change X", "Oh no screen shots of X in the
> documentation so it's fine" exchange.
>
> So I'd always thought it included all packages although exception
> approval for some would end up being very light weight.

This was also what I thought and what I think we should do, it's easy
enough to ack a UIFe if there's clearly no documentation being
affected, much easier than having to either revert the change or
update a set of screenshots anyway.

> Scott K

- --
Stéphane Graber