Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing"

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Jun 21 17:41:53 UTC 2012

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 06:52:58 PM Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com>
>
> > The Kubuntu team are welcome to determine whatever milestones they
> > want - no one is suggesting anything needs to change for the flavors
> > in their testing cadence. I am purely stating how Nick will be
> > working: the only output of this work is assured mandatory test case
> > testing and this testing uncovering any bugs. As I said earlier, this
> > work is independent of whether we remove milestones or not.
>
> I think the terminology here is the source of some confusion. I think
> when you (Jono) say "milestones" people hear specifically the already
> defined "alpha and beta" Milestones.  I don't think you mean that. I
> think you are using the term "milestones" differently, to just mean
> "chosen dates for testing".
>
> I think it's fair to say that flavors can choose a higher frequency
> for a testing cadence than just the alpha and beta dates,

Yes, but that's not what's being discussed.  What's being discusses is more
testing at shorter intervals in order to abolish the alphas and the betas.
Once they are gone, then we don't have the milestones to organize around
anymore.  It takes Canonical employees to execute a release milestone.  Doing
an Alpha/Beta without Canonical support isn't currently something that can be
done.

Scott K