Drop Alphas and Betas (was Re: Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing")

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 18 20:22:05 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 03:46 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, June 18, 2012 03:42:49 PM Rodney Dawes wrote:
>> Ditën e Mon, 18/06/2012 më 15.30 -0400, Scott Kitterman ka shkruar:

>>> We used to call what's now Beta 1 a "Release Candidate" for similar
>>> reasons, but renamed it because it's not really a release candidate.
>>> Generally "Release Candidate" means "Thing that will get released if no
>>> new significant issues turn up".  Our current usage matches that and we
>>> should stick with it. I don't like the idea of turning Release Candidate
>>> into a marketing term in order to encourage more testing.
>>
>> And I think the idea here is that every single daily image fits into
>> that category of what we're calling a "Release Candidate." If we
>> maintain high quality throughout the cycle, then at any point after
>> the higher level freezes (feature, UI, string, etc…) we could
>> theoretically point to any image and say "this is the release
>> candidate." If we can't do that, then we should at least be able to
>> isolate where and why we can't (particular packages not meeting the
>> quality standards, introducing problems late in cycle, etc…), and
>> work on preventing that from happening in the future.
>
> Up until the last translation import is finished, we know everything is not a
> release candidate.  After that, I agree.
>
> Scott K

We typically need the last batch of outside-of-langpacks translation
updates, a new batch of langpacks, a new base-files (for lsb_release), a
new ubiquity (dropping any remaining alpha/beta warning) and matching
debian-cd change (to actually mark the images as finals).

Currently we consider that any of the above (including the debian-cd
flag change) require re-testing of the images.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer