Drop Alphas and Betas (was Re: Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing")

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Mon Jun 18 19:42:49 UTC 2012

Ditën e Mon, 18/06/2012 më 15.30 -0400, Scott Kitterman ka shkruar:
> On Monday, June 18, 2012 01:30:34 PM Chris Wilson wrote:
> > I also think adding the "Release Candidate (RC)" designation towards the
> > end of the cycle would encourage more people who are quite wary of
> > installing pre-release software on their computer to get involved with last
> > minute testing since RC indicates that it's pretty much done and all that's
> > left is to iron out some minor glitches.
> We used to call what's now Beta 1 a "Release Candidate" for similar reasons,
> but renamed it because it's not really a release candidate.  Generally
> "Release Candidate" means "Thing that will get released if no new significant
> issues turn up".  Our current usage matches that and we should stick with it.
> I don't like the idea of turning Release Candidate into a marketing term in
> order to encourage more testing.

And I think the idea here is that every single daily image fits into
that category of what we're calling a "Release Candidate." If we
maintain high quality throughout the cycle, then at any point after
the higher level freezes (feature, UI, string, etc…) we could
theoretically point to any image and say "this is the release
candidate." If we can't do that, then we should at least be able to
isolate where and why we can't (particular packages not meeting the
quality standards, introducing problems late in cycle, etc…), and
work on preventing that from happening in the future.