Drop Alphas and Betas (was Re: Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing")

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Jun 18 19:30:27 UTC 2012

On Monday, June 18, 2012 01:30:34 PM Chris Wilson wrote:
> I also think adding the "Release Candidate (RC)" designation towards the
> end of the cycle would encourage more people who are quite wary of
> installing pre-release software on their computer to get involved with last
> minute testing since RC indicates that it's pretty much done and all that's
> left is to iron out some minor glitches.
We used to call what's now Beta 1 a "Release Candidate" for similar reasons,
but renamed it because it's not really a release candidate.  Generally
"Release Candidate" means "Thing that will get released if no new significant
issues turn up".  Our current usage matches that and we should stick with it.
I don't like the idea of turning Release Candidate into a marketing term in
order to encourage more testing.

Scott K