Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing"

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Jun 18 16:56:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:49:46AM +0200, Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > So regular manual testing rounds are still required, and the points
> > when we do them might just as well be called "milestones".
>
> But if the focus is testing, we should optimize the schedule around
> testing. For example, I think Ubuntu would benefit from more frequent
> "rounds" of such in depth testing than the current alpha/beta
> milestones provide. (I think every 2 weeks would be a good cadence).

Scott and Thierry mentioned the value of alphas as reference images,
such as for isolating when a regression entered the repo.  The main
problem I've seen with this is that the alphas are spaced just a bit too
far apart.  So, if we go to a 2 week cadence on the testing, and the
isos used in that testing were kept available through the release, that
would help on that point as well.

Bryce