Drop Alphas and Betas (was Re: Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing")

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Mon Jun 18 06:36:40 UTC 2012

(I changed the subject to better represent this branch of the conversation)

This discussion suggests that we don't need to release special alpha
and beta ISOs, but we do need:
1. A cadence of testing
2. A trial run (or 2) of spinning ISOs
3. Development targets

Therefore, I propose we:
 1. Stop with the alphas and betas and win back all of the development effort
 2. *Increase* the cadence of ISO testing to whatever we want or
whatever the community team can manage
 3. Spin a trial ISO near what is not beta time (maybe around current
kernel freeze?)
 4. Spin ISOs for release candidates
 5. Maintain the current Alpha and Beta designations as development
targets only (i.e. don't spin a special image for them).

Cheers, Rick