Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing"

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jun 15 15:05:08 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 15, 2012 04:57:57 PM Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > On Friday, June 15, 2012 04:41:51 PM Rick Spencer wrote:
> >
> >> The essential point is, Ubuntu should be good every day. There should
> >> be nothing special about an alpha or beta, it's simply the daily image
> >> on some chosen day. Making them special doesn't buy us anything, but
> >> has costs.

> > Then cancel the whole milestone process, grab a daily and call it done.
>
> Kinda what I'm saying, yeah. I think we probably still need milestones
> for targeting bug fixes and features, but we could change that to be
> keyed off of months. I think there are also widespread external
> expectations that there are alphas and betas in a software project so
> I'm not quite ready to advocate for "no alpha and betas" at all.

I don't think you get to have it both ways.  Either we stabilize an image and
put a stamp on it and we need some kind of freeze or we don't.  Trying to let
developers continue to do their work while ignoring the milestone just pushes
the problem of getting things fixed for the milestone on the release team.

Scott K