Removing gnome-nettool from the default Desktop image?

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 21:51:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to see gnome-nettool removed from the default Ubuntu Desktop
> image. It will of course still be available for easy install for those
> who want it. Personally, I just use tools like ping, traceroute, or
> whois from the command line. I don't believe normal people use those
> commands anyway.
>
> I'd like to still keep whois, but drop nmap and finger; the nmap .debs
> are pretty large and it wasn't part of previous Ubuntu Desktop
> releases.

I'm not necessarily against dropping it from the CD and leaving it in
universe for installation by those who need it; but could you expose
the reasons why we feel it's no longer necessary on the desktop image?
Is it lacking in maintenance, taking up too much space, buggy?

I'd be tempted to say that the "space" considerations are likely to be
minimal (I haven't looked though); but I can understand it being a
time sink if it's not actively maintained upstream. However, I know
some people use it judging from bug reports we receive, and due to its
small size I don't think it's such a large burden.

The intent of the live image is to showcase what Ubuntu can do; I
think gnome-nettool gives us an additional benefit in the fact that
it's useful, for users that don't always know the command-line
equivalents, for debugging purposes with network issues.

Regards,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93