Quantal plans for Python 3

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 6 18:53:10 UTC 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 08:07 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>It is a release goal for Ubuntu 12.10 to ship only Python 3 on the desktop CD
>images.
>
>    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python/FoundationsQPythonVersions

A quick update.  Martin has ported apport to Python 3 (yay!) and along the
way, he's told me that the bits of apport that require python-launchpadlib are
only required on the server side, not the desktop.  Thus, with some
refactoring of the packaging, we can remove python-launchpadlib as a
task:ubuntu-desktop dependency from apport.

This means that we can defer porting python-launchpadlib and its dependencies
until later (i.e. not this cycle).  This let's us also defer
python-lazr.restfulclient, python-lazr.authentication, python-keyring,
python-wadllib and wsgi_intercept.  Having worked on this stack unsuccessfully
for about a week, this is a *really* good thing.  Thanks Martin!

We still need python-oauth because of oneconf, gwibber,
python-ubuntu-sso-client, and python-ubuntuone-client and we still need to
port various libraries and applications away from python-simplejson, among
various other tasks.

I've updated the spreadsheet accordingly and the transition tracker should get
updated automatically the next time the cronjob runs.

Cheers,
-Barry