Automatic import from debian package not found in Ubuntu

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 12 16:41:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 03:00:38PM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> I am a Debian maintainer, working on the mess package which sits in
> non-free in Debian ( the Mame license does not allow commercial use
> of the software, for the rest it is BSD )
>
> I would have tought according to
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze, that the package would
> automatically end up in Quantal, as it was accepted in Debian
> Testing in December 2011.

This would ordinarily be true.

> But the DebianImportFreeze date is gone, and I find no trace of it
> in the Quantal packages using rmadison.
>
> Is it because the package sits in the non-free section of the Debian
> Archive ?

No, it's not.  The problem was that our auto-sync script said this:

  [New] mess_0.146-1
  No previous publications in Ubuntu
  OK (Y/n)?
   * Trying to add mess ...
  mess_0.146-1 is trying to override modified binary mame-tools_0.145-0ubuntu1.  OK (y/N)?

... and I didn't have a chance to check whether this was OK.  Can you
say whether mess 0.146-1 completely supersedes mame 0.145-0ubuntu1, or
are there outstanding Ubuntu changes that we'd need to preserve by way
of a merge?