LP958305: unscd crashing and SRU upload...

Alessandro Menti alessandro.menti at hotmail.it
Mon Jul 9 13:51:35 UTC 2012

> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:17:45 +0800
> Subject: LP958305: unscd crashing and SRU upload...
> From: daniel at quora.org
> To: ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Hi Ubuntu devs,
>
> The currently released unscd package in Ubuntu 12.04 is DOA, ie
> crashes at every start [1].
>
> I believe I have set this Launchpad bug into the correct state to
> reflect that it is fixed in the newer package, that just needs
> sponsorship for the SRU upload (justification given).
>
> Please can someone take a look?
>
> Many thanks,
> Daniel
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unscd/+bug/958305
> --
> Daniel J Blueman

Hi Daniel,
I've just had a look at the bug report - the state is correct, but
there are some other things that are missing.

1) The SRU justification should go in the original description,
   in order to be more visible.
2) You should ask a bug supervisor via IRC to nominate your bug for
   Precise, see [1] and [2].
3) As the version in Quantal is a newer one (even if it does not
   correspond to a new upstream version), you can't ask the archive
   administrators to backport the newer version to Precise, for
   stability reasons - you'll need to:
   - check out the sources for unscd 0.47-2build2 by creating a
     new Bazaar branch, see [3];
   - insert the appropriate code changes from unscd 0.48 into the
     existing code. The changes should be the smallest possible,
     introducing new functionalities or even making "cosmetic"
     changes is not allowed.
     The patch from 0.47-2build2 to 0.48 [4] should be a good
     starting point; I think that the section starting with
         +/* Callback for glibc-2.15 */
     and going until the end of the patch file should suffice;
   - run "dch -i" and update the changelog (make sure to target
     "precise-updates", to choose an appropriate version
     number and to reference the Launchpad bug report number,
     see [3] for all the details);
   - build and test the package;
   - when done, push the branch to Launchpad and link to it in
     the bug report.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or on IRC
in #ubuntu-bugs.

Hope this helps,
Alessandro Menti

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
[2] https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/140509
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToFix
[4] https://launchpadlibrarian.net/103707277/unscd_0.47-2build2_0.48-2.diff.gz
--
A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink.
The bartender replies "for you, no charge".