Enabling Connectivity Checking in NetworkManager

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Tue Jul 10 19:39:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 15:29 -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 03:20 PM, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

> >> There are other ways to detect such cases without having the machine
> >> connect to an external service.
> >>
> >> Someone suggested on IRC to implement a doesnt-exist.ubuntu.com which is
> >> essentially a record that Canonical would guarantee never to exist in
> >> the ubuntu.com. zone.
> >>
> >> If you can resolve or even access that host, then you are behind some
> >> kind of captive portal/proxy.
> >>

> > That only works if the portal/proxy spoofs DNS. Some don't do that.
> >
> > Seriously, there's a whole slew of software on the desktop that connects
> > to the Internet regularly, I don't see how this is any different. It's
> > easy to change for paranoid people, and enabling it would make Ubuntu so
> > much better for a majority of users.
> >
> > Marc.
>
> Just to clarify, I'm not at all against that change, being one of the
> ones who asked Mathieu to put that on this todo after looking at 2-3
> implementation of that check in ubiquity alone that I'd love to get rid off.
>
> I'm not sure I like the idea of having NM poke that same address every 5
> minutes as it sounds like a pretty easy way for anyone to accurately
> count the number of Ubuntu machines currently running in any given network.

Meh, there are countless other things that can be used for that
currently...apt requests, ntp, browser user-agent strings, etc.

> Sadly it's not how it was implemented in Network Manager, but I think
> I'd have preferred to have this check be exposed over DBUS so that
> applications like ubiquity can use that call to query the connectivity
> on demand.

I'm confused...Network Manager already exposes connectivity information
over dbus, and that's what apps are supposed to use...

> This would also have allowed to extend the check to work with other
> protocols, letting the client application query for a specific host and
> protocol if it wants to (with the default being whatever is defined in
> NetworkManager.conf).

Well, the idea is apps ask Network Manager, so it can be configured in a
central location, and not have every app try and override the default...

Marc.