Enabling Connectivity Checking in NetworkManager

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Tue Jul 10 19:20:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 15:11 -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 03:06 PM, Ted Gould wrote:

> >> I think that a significant fraction of Ubuntu's user base is (reasonably) very
> >> sensitive about privacy issues.  While this is no worse the the NTP check that
> >> already exists (that is controversial), I don't think it  should be enabled by
> >> default.
> >
> > I think that for those who are concerned, this is trivial to disable.
> > But, I think what happens for those who are, is that Ubuntu "does the
> > right thing" by default.  If you're at a hotel or other location that
> > captures for a login page, you won't get your mail and apt and ... all
> > downloading bogus stuff.
> >
> > 		--Ted
>
> There are other ways to detect such cases without having the machine
> connect to an external service.
>
> Someone suggested on IRC to implement a doesnt-exist.ubuntu.com which is
> essentially a record that Canonical would guarantee never to exist in
> the ubuntu.com. zone.
>
> If you can resolve or even access that host, then you are behind some
> kind of captive portal/proxy.

That only works if the portal/proxy spoofs DNS. Some don't do that.

Seriously, there's a whole slew of software on the desktop that connects
to the Internet regularly, I don't see how this is any different. It's
easy to change for paranoid people, and enabling it would make Ubuntu so
much better for a majority of users.

Marc.