Enabling Connectivity Checking in NetworkManager

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 10 19:06:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 14:48 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 02:41:35 PM Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
> > As for the actual change, it is limited to the
> > /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file; to which the following
> > will be added:
> >
> > [connectivity]
> > uri=http://start.ubuntu.com/connectivity-check.html
> > response=Lorem ipsum
> >
> > See the manual page for NetworkManager.conf(5) for the details of what
> > these settings do.
> >
> > Please let me know if you have questions or think there are good
> > reasons not to enable this feature. If there is no response by the end
> > of the week, I'd like to proceed with a enabling this in Quantal and
> > making sure it gets well tested.
>
> I think that a significant fraction of Ubuntu's user base is (reasonably) very
> sensitive about privacy issues.  While this is no worse the the NTP check that
> already exists (that is controversial), I don't think it  should be enabled by
> default.

I think that for those who are concerned, this is trivial to disable.
But, I think what happens for those who are, is that Ubuntu "does the
right thing" by default.  If you're at a hotel or other location that
captures for a login page, you won't get your mail and apt and ... all
downloading bogus stuff.

		--Ted