Blessed virtual machines? (Precise uninstallable on vmware)

Jean-Baptiste Lallement jean-baptiste.lallement at canonical.com
Mon Jan 16 11:43:25 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 10:04 AM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Ubiquity has been crashing for me on VMware Player, both for dailies and
> Alpha 1.  This sounds like the sort of bug that wouldn't have survived
> long if vmware installs were part of the new smoke testing process.

What is the crash you are experiencing with ubiquity on VMPlayer? Which
image, host and version of VMPlayer ? Could you give a bug number or
file one and attach the content of /var/log/installer and /var/log/syslog ?

I tried with VMPlayer 4.0.1 on Windows 64bit with Easy Install and
today's desktop 64bit installs fine (reboot must be forced at the end of
the install though)
I didn't do deep testing but after reboot Unity 3D is running correctly.

> Is there a "blessed" (ie, regularly tested working) VM for Ubuntu out there?

We are running daily testing on KVM but there is no "blessed" VM
technology. Many people use virtualbox to test dailies, but VMWare works
too. We are manually testing it at each milestone.

--
Jean-Baptiste
IRC: jibel