Minutes from the Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting, 2012-01-31

Joseph Salisbury joseph.salisbury at canonical.com
Tue Jan 31 21:28:54 UTC 2012

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/01/31/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of
the meeting.]]
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 31 Jan, 2012|20120131
Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
  P/omap4: a new kernel version (1405.7) was released, with improved PM
support and fixes for the usb subsystem (CMA revert).
  P/master: problems with mmc were due to twl4030's GPIO lines being
inactive at boot time since support was factored out in a kernel module;
recompiling it in the main kernel made omap3 boards boot off the mmc
again (12.20).
  SRU: new kernels were released for every supported arch/release.

=== Release Metrics and Incoming Bugs  ===
  Release metrics and incoming bug data can be reviewed at the following
link:
  http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/kt-meeting.txt

=== Milestone Targeted Work Items  ===
  I've pushed out any open work items from Alpha-2 to Beta-1.
  Additionally, some work items have come to my attention but I'm unaware
  of anyone from our team actually working on them:
  <<BR>>
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-p-ceph
  [canonical-kernel-team] investigate large xattr support patch from Ted
T'so in ext4: TODO
  [canonical-kernel-team] potentially help push large xattr support to
ext4: TODO
  <<BR>>
  Did anyone attend that session at UDS and commit us to those work items?
  I suspect these may just get postponed. They were for the cluster
filesystem, which is used in openstack.
  There will be a follow up and see if more details can be found.
  <<BR>>
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubuntu-arm-p-optional-initrd
  [canonical-kernel-team] provide a kernel with uuid support in the
internal initrd for measuring
  <<BR>>
  I vaguely recall there were discussions regarding this work item at
the rally, but I'm unaware of what the outcome was?
  <<BR>>
  The foundations WIs were all postponed/blocked yesterday, including
the above work item?
  A test of with/without initrd can be done, but that wont tell anything
about with/with minimal initrd in kernel
  <<BR>>
  slangasek set his items to blocked.
  <<BR>>
  ogra_, but don't we have an option to generate a minimal initrd now ?
  <<BR>>
  ogra can easily provide you with data tomorrow if that helps anyone
  <<BR>>
  Those would be interesting numbers.
  <<BR>>
  Minimal means the in-kernel initrd just containing teh blkid command
as we had discussed
  <<BR>>
  Though i think slangasek would even like to see that done in-kernel
with a patch (which i think you already said is to intrusive)
  <<BR>>
  A plan should be discussed for this feature offline, we are clearly
confused on who is doing what when in which order
  <<BR>>
  tgardner: FSVO "minimal" that always includes udev and sundry other
utilities
  <<BR>>
  slangasek, not necessarily, thats why we have devtmpfs, no ?
  <<BR>>
  slangasek, I guess I was referring to the "tailored" initrd so taht we
could see if there was _any_ time differences
  <<BR>>
  there is no support for generating any genuinely minimal initramfs out
of initramfs-tools
  <<BR>>
  right, it will always be bloated and at least contain both libc's
  we'll discuss it offline ..
  <<BR>>

  Everyone OK with moving on?

=== Blueprint: hardware-p-kernel-power-management  ===
  nothing to report this week

  Last week we rebased to v3.2.2 and uploaded.  There is a potential
  regression in v3.2.2 that I'm concerned about, bug 923512.  jsalisbury
  is working with the bug reporters and has a test kernel with the
  offending patch reverted.  If anyone else has hw which uses the ath9k
  driver, it would be nice if you could test.  I'd consider this would
  warrent an upload to fix before the milestone which is in 2 days, Thurs
  * [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/923512|Launchpad bug 923512 in linux
(Ubuntu) "ath9k wireless stopped working after kernel upgrade to
3.2.0-12" [High,Confirmed] ]]
  Feb 2.  This means we'd likely have to upload by end of day today.

  Currently open CVEs for each supported branch:

  || Package                                  || Open      || Defd ||
  ||                                          ||           ||      ||
  || linux Hardy                              ||   20 (+3) ||    8 ||
  || linux Lucid                              ||   14 (+2) ||    5 ||
  || linux Maverick                           ||   14 (+3) ||    5 ||
  || linux Natty                              ||   13 (+3) ||    5 ||
  || linux Oneiric                            ||   10 (+1) ||    5 ||
  || linux Precise                            ||    7      ||    5 ||
  || linux-ec2 Lucid                          ||   14 (+2) ||    5 ||
  || linux-fsl-imx51 Lucid                    ||   14 (+3) ||    4 ||
  || linux-mvl-dove Lucid                     ||    0 (-9) ||    0 ||
  || linux-mvl-dove Maverick                  ||   10 (+1) ||    4 ||
  || linux-ti-omap4 Maverick                  ||   15 (+3) ||    4 ||
  || linux-ti-omap4 Natty                     ||   12 (+5) ||    4 ||
  || linux-ti-omap4 Oneiric                   ||    7 (+1) ||    4 ||
  || linux-ti-omap4 Precise                   ||    5      ||    4 ||
  || linux-lts-backport-maverick Lucid        ||   14 (+3) ||    5 ||
  || linux-lts-backport-natty Lucid           ||   13 (+3) ||    5 ||
  || linux-lts-backport-oneiric Lucid         ||   10 (+1) ||    5 ||

  Note that the table has a new column this week, the "Defd" column
  represents the number of CVEs which have been referred back to
security for
  resoution, either for lack of a fix or if the fix is not clearly complete.

  Nine new CVEs were added this week, of which about 6 have been resolved.
  We have also finally dropped lucid/mvl-dove from the table above.

Oneiric/Natty/Maverick/Lucid/Hardy  ===
  Here is the status for the main kernels, until today (Jan. 24):

   * Hardy - 2.6.24-30.98
    * Nothing new this cycle.

   * Lucid - 2.6.32-38.85
    * Proposed is frozen due to 10.04.4 prep.

   * Maverick - 2.6.35-32.65
    * Verification testing.

   * Natty - 2.6.38-13.55
    * Verification testing.

   * Oneiric - 3.0.0-16.27
    * Verification testing.

  Current opened tracking bugs details:
   * http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/kernel-sru-workflow.html

  For SRUs, SRU report is a good source of information:
   * http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/sru-report.html

  Future stable cadence cycles:
   * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseInterlock

=== Open Discussion or Questions? Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
No Open Discussions.