Smoke testing of Precise X server bits

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Fri Jan 20 02:01:40 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We have everything ready (almost) for the upload of the X server into
Precise. It includes X server 1.11 plus the input stack from 1.12. It
also includes a bunch of interdependent packages that would break if you
were only to update your X server. Here's the known issues with the PPA:

* No utouch-geis support, which means most of your gestures won't work
  - Will be fixed by feature freeze
* Multitouch in Qt from indirect devices (e.g. trackpads) is broken
  - Will be fixed in next Qt upload *after* we push these packages
* Qt is still building for armel, so don't test this on armel yet
* A security hole will kill your screen saver if you type
  Ctrl+Alt+KP_Multiply
  - Will be fixed in xkeyboard-config upload in the next couple hours

Notably, xserver-xorg-input-synaptics has a large patch added in today
for multitouch support. The X synaptics module is used for all
trackpads. Please test that your trackpad is behaving sanely.

We are mostly looking for blocker bugs right now (random X server
crashes, really obnoxious behavior, etc.). Please reply with any such
bugs you find.

Thanks!

-- Chase