Blessed virtual machines? (Precise uninstallable on vmware)

Gema Gomez gema.gomez-solano at canonical.com
Mon Jan 16 09:50:45 UTC 2012

On 16/01/12 09:04, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Ubiquity has been crashing for me on VMware Player, both for dailies and
> Alpha 1.  This sounds like the sort of bug that wouldn't have survived
> long if vmware installs were part of the new smoke testing process.

Thanks for suggesting the addition of new test cases to the smoke
testing process. The resolution of this bug will tell us where the
problem is, but it sounds as if the problem is on the VMware side rather
than on the Ubuntu side.

Smoke testing is meant to verify the product is suitable for further
testing and dev usage, not to determine whether Precise would work in
every other visualization/hardware platform. What you are suggesting is
interoperability testing, rather than smoke testing, also a valid test
case, so we'll add it to our test suite in due time (please, drop us an
email if you get to it earlier). We can add it straight away to our
milestone testing, and do it manually for the time being.

> Is there a "blessed" (ie, regularly tested working) VM for Ubuntu out there?

If you want to use the same one the QA team are using for automated
smoke testing, go for KVM. It's the one we have more coverage for at the
moment and it is used more widely in the community afaik.

> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

Thanks,
Gema