Plans for Precise X upload

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Fri Jan 13 16:03:24 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We're now all ready to push the new X server to Precise. This will cause
breakages for many items, so we need to plan this carefully. Chris
Halse-Rogers and I have devised the following plan:

* Push all new packages (Xorg and packages that need changes) to
ppa:canonical-x/x-staging, including:
  - utouch-geis 2.2.3 rebuild for XI API changes
  - qt4-x11 either current package with refreshed XI patch for API
    changes, or 4.8 branch if it's ready. I have patches ready for both.
  - utouch-frame 2.1 for XI API changes
  - utouch-grail rebuild for XI API changes

* Use the following Breaks: for xorg-server:
  - unity < 5.0.0 (due to crasher if utouch stack is unavailable)
  - utouch-geis < 2.2.3 (due to infinite loop if utouch XCB backend is
                         unavailable)
  - utouch-frame < 2.1.0 (due to XI API change)
  - qt4-x11 < [qt4-x11 ubuntu version to be uploaded] (due to XI API
                                                       change)

* Pocket copy source and binary packages from the PPA into Precise
  - This PPA has been blessed and builds amd64, i386, armel, and
    powerpc. Due to security issues with armel PPAs, Canonical will only
    allow us to bless a PPA that is restricted to Canonical employees.
    Hopefully, the security issues will be resolved soon, but not in the
    next week :).

How does this sound? If it works for everyone, the only remaining
question is which qt4-x11 version to upload.

Thanks!

-- Chase