Derivatives using the LightDM GTK+ greeter

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu Jan 12 11:13:06 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just wanted to clarify some points regarding LightDM and the GTK+
greeter (lightdm-gtk-greeter package):
- This greeter was always intended as an example greeter
- It's being used as the default installed greeter for some derivatives
- The GTK+ greeter is now an independent project from LightDM
(http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/lightdm/2011-November/000190.html)

I do not spend much time on this greeter other than confirming it still
works with newer versions of the daemon, and have no plans to add new
functionality.  If derivatives want to use this greeter they are welcome
to, but I suggest they will need to take maintainership of the project.
Now it is a separate launchpad project
(https://launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter) it is easy to give people
permissions to this project.

Anyone interested?