Google Summer of Code 2012 announced

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 21 10:26:54 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 01:28 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 06.02.2012 11:11, Daniel Holbach wrote:
>> GSoC2012 has been announced [1]. The timeline for the initiative is up
>> as well [2]. Relevant next dates are:
>>
>>   * February 27 19:00 UTC:
>>     Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
>>   * March 9 23:00 UTC
>>     Mentoring organization application deadline.
>>   * March 12-15:
>>     Google program administrators review organization applications.
>>   * March 16 19:00 UTC
>>     List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google
>>     Summer of Code 2012 site.
>>
>> As you all know, last year our application was unsuccessful, which is
>> why I'd like us all to collaborate on putting Ubuntu's application as a
>> mentoring organisation together.
>>
>> As far as I recall the particular point which was problematic the last
>> time was a lack of distinct project ideas. Pointing to Ubuntu Brainstorm
>> or a list of unfinished blueprints is not enough. We need a list of
>> project ideas we'd be willing to mentor.
>>
>> There is a check list of things available we need to answer to be able
>> to apply. [3]
>>
>> Please help filling out our application. This is important.
>>
>>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2012
>>
>> [1]
>> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/google-summer-of-code-2012-is-on.html
>> [2] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>> [3]
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#mentoring_apply
> I had a number of conversations with a few people already and I think
> it's worth clarifying that this cycle I won't have the time to act as
> the mentoring organisation liaison (if we should be chosen by Google
> this time).
>
> I just felt it important enough to make sure we all try to submit a
> great application, so Ubuntu contributors can spend the summer making
> Ubuntu better.
>
> So far we have 8 project ideas on the wiki page, we have some bits of
> the questionnaire already answered and one person potentially interested
> in being a contact person for the mentoring organisation.
>
> Have a great day,
>   Daniel

I believe like dholbach that this is a very worthwhile program for
Ubuntu to engage in and will benefit not only the mentees but also the
Ubuntu Community
and hopefully we can pull this together this year.

--
Benjamin Kerensa                          "I am what I am because
Team Lead, Ubuntu Oregon                  of who we all are." - Ubuntu
bkerensa at ubuntu.com
http://ubuntu-oregon.org