Google Summer of Code 2012 announced

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 21 14:24:59 UTC 2012

Hey Neal,

On 21.02.2012 15:08, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> Thanks, Daniel.  Can you talk some more about what it takes to be the contact person in terms of time and resources and connections, and what you enjoyed about it (or not) in the past?

One of the most important tasks as a contact person is definitely
keeping everyone aware of what's going on in terms of deadlines:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012 - this
includes writing announcements and sending reminders.

The most time-consuming phases were definitely the first: mentoring
organisation application, outreach to mentees and the review of
mentoring proposals.

The actual hacking phase just requires everyone to stick to the
deadlines and send in information to Google in a timely fashion.

What I enjoyed was working in a small "Ubuntu contact team" and finally
having the project on the way, also the excitement - both of mentees and
mentors - was great too. At times you get quite a number of enquiries as
Ubuntu was a quite popular project, but if you can deal with a few
emails and pings on IRC, that's totally fine.

I would highly suggest to have at least two Ubuntu GSoC contacts. The
FAQ is also a read I'd recommend.

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs

If there's any more questions, please let me know.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! developer.ubuntu.com/packaging
And follow @ubuntudev on identi.ca/twitter.com/facebook.com/gplus.to