Ubuntu Algorithms Team

bdfhjk bdfhjk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 12:15:33 UTC 2012

2012/2/18 Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com>

> On 10/02/12 22:21, bdfhjk wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>>
>> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to
>> understand algorithms
>> * Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu
>> and coming up with ways to improve their
>> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas,
>> where they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the
>> practical use of existing algorithms.
>>
>> This would be done through:
>> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to
>> submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using
>> the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that
>> at the present state of science, solution does not exist.
>> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may
>> be related to Ubuntu
>> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
>> structures (useful especially for beginners)
>>

>> Please write your comments.
>> This team will be useful to you?
>> Do you need training in algorithms?
>> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will
>> want to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms
>> Team?
>>

> Hi Marek,
>
> That's a great idea! In addition to the hard to implement algorithms, it
> may also be beneficial to include basic algorithms: for example, who knows
> how to implement a fast sort or a hashing algorithm? You can find them all
> over the place but few people really know how they work. Another aspect
> that is important is algorithm complexity and growth rate (is it O(n),
> O(log n), etc?) which is a good way to explain why a particular algorithm
> is better than another one.
>
> What outputs do you want to produce from the team? Launchpad pages would
> be great and what would be even better would be example implementations in
> python (or any other language). Ideally, this could then enable interested
> developers to start their own projects and implement those algorithms as
> shared libraries that everybody can benefit from (or contribute to any such
> projects for algorithms for which there are existing implementations).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruno

Yes, that are two very good ideas.

I don't know about similar 'algorithmic' library, which contain hard/easy
algorithms, existing now somewhere. If someone know about it, please write
to me. Independently, in my mind is a open source library with well
described and with clean code, designed for beginners programmers to look
at it and use the code by 'copy-paste-modify' method. Both ways are
interesting.

About second idea, we may organize a classes for all programmers and say
about basics algorithms, especially their use in real work.

Thanks,
Marek Bardoński